Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Yoga, This Girl Needs Ya!

Yoga=balance, and oh so much more!

My breathing is strong and assured, mind clear, and body relaxed; despite the fact that I’ve challenged myself tremendously.  As class draws to a close, I wonder, “What is it about yoga that draws me time and time again back to my mat?”  A brief response is something I find difficult to put into words.  Of course, I can easily tout the well-known benefits of added flexibility, calmness, improved posture, mindfulness, etc., etc., etc.   But, there’s definitely more…  In the nearly three years this yogini has begun practicing regularly, there has been a shift.  It’s been incremental; yet, when viewed in whole, it is monumental. 

The change I’m talking about is my life; how I live and experience it.  Like my yoga practice, I feel stronger, more self-assured, clear-headed, and relaxed in all aspects of living.  And, the challenges…well, I continuously seem to push the edges far more than I ever did before yoga became a part of my life.  Plus, I now make needed modifications when encountering “limitations” in attaining my desires.  This means that I am not only seeking more; I am achieving more, too.

Do I have any proof my yoga practice has changed my life?  Maybe not; but, that’s okay, because I somehow know it has.  Oh yes, that’s improved, too, since yoga—my ability to recognize, listen to and act upon that wise little voice inside.  My fellow yogis know what I’m talking about.

For those who don’t currently practice, access to information about yoga and its instruction opportunities has never been greater!  I’d recommend doing research first to see what type of yoga appeals to you most.  There are various types of yoga.  My favorites are Hatha, Yin and Vinyasa.  Don’t get discouraged if, at first, you do not find that perfect fit.  It is out there; so, don’t give up on finding it!  The first yoga tradition I encountered 13 years ago did not resonate with me, so I stopped attending classes shortly after I began.  Unfortunately, it took me 10 more years to listen to my wise self and explore other offerings.  The silver lining to this cloud is that I eventually did! 

Wishing you all the pinkness, joy and peace the yoga lifestyle can bring!  Namaste, T.