Monday, April 9, 2012

On Taking an Artist's Date



 
The last Saturday of March, this artist set out on a solo date in an attempt to feed her creative soul.  I drove to the local college campus, and enjoyed a lovely walk there (all the trees, shrubs and springtime flowers were in full bloom!).  I even stopped and took a few photos of the sights I saw. I then immersed myself in a visit to an onsite art museum, which was displaying Master’s Thesis exhibits from select students (many of them having received awards for their work!).  Afterwards, I set out on a jaunt to the student union (where I dropped in for tea at the Starbuck’s).  While sipping my tea, I pulled out a book/journal I’m reading.  I read and explored my own creativity by journaling to the prompts provided within the text. 

March’s artist’s date was truly what I needed to refuel my spirit!  I returned home creatively refreshed, energized, inspired and brimming with a sense of true accomplishment. 

Artist’s dates are an essential part of my overall self-care strategy.  I strive to take myself on no less than one artist’s date a month in an effort to replenish myself creatively.  I first learned about artist’s dates when reading Julia Cameron’s “The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity” about 10 years ago.  Cameron defines an artist’s date as “a festive, solo expedition to explore something that interests you.”

Even though I discovered artist’s dates some time ago, I have only engaged in them sporadically until about three years ago.  It was at that time that I vowed to take no less than one full artist’s date (two to four hours) a month and no less than one mini artist’s date a week (mini artist’s dates could easily be taken over a 30-minute lunch break).  Cameron encourages taking no less than one full artist’s date a week.  Although I’m not there yet, it’s certainly something I hope to achieve…someday

Do you partake in artist’s dates?  If so, I’d love to hear about one you’ve recently experienced.  If not, I would highly recommend you schedule one soon.  And, if you do, I would relish hearing about your plans for your very first excursion!  Looking for ideas?  I discovered this blog post, a few months back, containing 101 ideas for artist’s dates!  To view it, click here.  This resource has provided me with scads of fabulous thoughts for my own future adventures.  Joy + peace, T.